Ways To Reduce The Cannabis Odor in Your Home
April 19, 2021 in General Education
All cannabis consumers know how strong, pervasive and distinctive the smell of cannabis is. There are times when it is necessary to get rid of the smell in your house; your parents or in-laws are coming for a visit, your child’s teacher is dropping off homework, you are having professional work done in your house…you get the picture. There are countless hacks for the job and many products on the market specifically designed to eliminate cannabis odors. There are too many to mention, so in this article I will list those that I like the best.
Ways To Reduce The Smell of Cannabis
I will start with different strategies to reduce the smell of cannabis at its source which is easier than getting rid of the odor!
Use a Vaporizer
Investing in a vaporizer will go a long way towards reducing the cannabis odor in your home, in the first place. In addition, it is considered healthier than smoking since the cannabis material does not reach levels of combustion, so no carcinogens. Vaping is also a more potent and effective delivery method, so it is more economical than smoking.
The odor of cannabis, whether from smoking it or cooking with it, is most pervasive in stagnant airflow conditions. Open up doors and windows at either ends of your space for an hour or two for maximum airflow. A heavy-duty fan will also increase cross-ventilation.
Keep Your Cannabis in An Air-Tight Container
Another effective way of reducing the smell of cannabis is by covering your flower and your roaches directly after use. This helps to contain the odors within a small place and avoids contaminating more air than necessary.
In generally, it is highly recommended that you store your cannabis flower in air-tight containers to preserve its flavor, aroma and protect it from mold due to humidity. You can buy air-tight plastic cases such as those used to keep small electronics dry on boating trips. Some people use mason jars to store their flower.
Use A Smoke Filter
Smoke filters come in an enormous range of different designs, shapes, sizes and colors. They all work the same way. After you take a hit from the device of your choice, you exhale into the filter. Depending on the product, the smoke will either be filtered through carbon or covered with some strong smelling product.
Build A Sploof
A sploof is a DIY smoke filter. I still have no idea why it is called a sploof and trust me, I tried to find out. Here are the materials you will need:
- Cardboard toilet roll or plastic bottle
- Scissors or knife
- Scented dryer sheets or activated charcoal
- Elastic band, string or tape
- If you are using a plastic bottle, cut off the top half of the bottle and throw away the bottom half. If you are using a toilet roll, you are ready to go
- Loosely pack 3-5 dryer sheets into the plastic bottle or toilet roll
- Wrap a dryer sheet over the end of the toilet roll or wide end of the bottle and fasten it with string, tape or an elastic band
- Exhale the smoke into the toilet roll or plastic bottle
Use A Pipe or A One-Hitter
Pipes and one-hitters are a great alternative to bongs and joints because they produce noticeably less smoke.
Pack Lighter Bowls in Pipes or Bongs
A great way to reduce the smell of smoking is to pack lighter bowls when using a pipe or a bong. With a pipe, packing lighter bowls reduces the smoke coming from the cone. With a bong, the smoke that passes through the mouthpiece of the bong has been partially filtered and cooled by the water, which helps to reduce the smell of it.
Smoke in the Bathroom
One of the easiest ways to contain the smell of cannabis is to smoke it in the bathroom. Cover the bottom of the door with a towel. Most bathrooms include an overhead fan, so you can clear the smoke out of the bathroom window as soon as you finish your session. Some people even turn on the shower to create a steamy environment which helps dissipate the odor. Finally, light a scented candle or incense and no one will be the wiser!
Clean Fabrics, Textiles and Carpets
Fabrics and textiles retain smoke and odor. Washing curtains, bedding, and furniture covers regularly can help you keep your smoking habit to yourself. Vacuuming can reduce the odor. Even better is to first sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and/or the sofa before you vacuum them.
If you still feel that the smell lingers, here are some odor eliminators to try:
1. Ozium appeared on just about everyone’s list. It is an air freshener that does a very effective job of masking the odor with its vanilla and lemony scent.
2. Nag Champa Incense also came up a lot. It is made from sandalwood combined with either champak and frangipani and is so strong that it will mask not only the cannabis but also other air fresheners.
3. Black Ice Little Trees Car Freshener, by all accounts, is one of the most overwhelming odors known to person kind. The air fresheners are made with 100% bamboo charcoal and the scent is described as piney woods and citrusy. In combination with ozium and nag champa incense, even your granny won’t be able to tell that you were smoking cannabis!
5. Lysol All-Purpose Cleaner
Use Natural Essential Oils and Scented Candles
Rosemary, eucalyptus, or peppermint will very quickly mask cannabis scent and will also help you feel alert and refreshed. Lavender, orange, and lemon are also very effective. Avoid using regular room deodorizers that you buy in a supermarket which will not only fail to eliminate the cannabis odor but will produce an unpleasant, sickly, chemically new odor.
Clearly, the easiest way to avoid having your home smelling of cannabis is to use it outside your home. OK. It had to be said.
cannconnection.com, 11 Sneaky Tips To Hide the Smell of Marijuana, updated Nov. 20, 2020
leafly.com, How To Eliminate Cannabis Odors in a Hurry, Dante Jordan, Aug. 17, 2018
herb.co, How To Hide the Smell of Weed
weedmaps.com, What Is A Sploof?