For those who wish to use flower cannabutter, here is a simple recipe by Nikki Furrer who just published her book: A Woman’s Guide to Cannabis: Using Marijuana to Feel Better, Look Better, Sleep Better-and Get High Like a Lady.
Yield: 1/2 cup of flower cannabutter
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3.5 grams (mild effect) – 7 grams (strong effect) decarboxylated cannabis flower
- 2 tbsp liquid lecithin
- Medium saucepan or pot
- Small jar or glass measuring cup
- Fine strainer or cheesecloth
- Airtight jar
- Fill saucepan halfway with water and set to boil.
- Combine butter with cannabis flower in a small jar/measuring cup. Place uncovered jar in boiling water. Once the butter melts, whisk the mixture until cannabis is evenly coated.
- Reduce the heat to simmer for 1 hour, adding more water if necessary.
- Allow mixture to cool, place in mesh/cheesecloth, pressing firmly until every drop has been strained. Repeat.
- Add lecithin and stir well until blended.
- Store in an airtight jar for one month in fridge or 6 months in freezer.
Nikki Furrer is a cannabis lawyer, cultivator, and CEO of Fleur, a cannabis company that develops strains and products with a focus on women’s health. She has worked as a budtender and grower in Denver, standing behind the counter with every product on the Colorado medical market, helping patients find the best medicine for them. Her oils, edibles and topicals are popular cannabis products in Illinois. Before joining the marijuana industry, she owned Pudd’nhead Books, an independent bookstore. She currently lives in St. Louis, MO.